Friday, September 4, 2009

"Teacher, teacher, teacher...."

"Teacher, teacher, teacher" was all I heard yesterday! It was my 1st big day as Mrs. Reno: substitute teacher. (Yes, I decided I needed to find one more thing to do in all my "spare time!" :) ) I don't know how many times I heard, "Are you a teenager? I'm taller than you. Do you go to school at the Jr. High with my sister/brother?" Yes, I know I look 15 but come on! Does EVERY STUDENT really have to make a comment like that?! :)

I decided I have a love-hate relationship with 3rd graders. Some students were great, while the others.....well... no comment! My mom always told me, "Aubry, if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all!" I will say that I have a whole new respect for elementary school teachers. I am sure if I was the actual teacher, and not just the substitute it would possibly be easier--or at least that is what I am going to tell myself. I was looking more forward to the bell ringing at 3:00 than I am for Christmas!

Moral of the story: Aubry has no patience and will avoid substituting another 3rd grade class at all costs!

ON A HAPPY NOTE: Last night I started my much anticipated opportunity of staying with 6 kids while their parents are on a cruise! Those of you who really know me, know that I LOVE doing things like this. I am going to be able to experience a little dose of "motherhood" (my dream) without having to go to all the work and pain of bringing them here and raising the kids to this point! Playing "house" for a week with REAL kids, in a REAL house is way better than with dolls in a doll-house! I know I can handle 2 kids overnight because I have done it before, but 6 (yes, SIX) kids until next Saturday is on a whole new playing field for me! So far there have been no accidents, (well, let me be more specific... accidents in the pants, yes, but no physical injury type accidents), no tears, no comments like, "when will my mom be home", etc. It has been GREAT so far! Of course all I have done is gotten the 4 school-aged kids up and off to school, and right now the 2 youngest boys, Ben and Luke are napping. I am under the impression though that after school at this house-hold is when the real craziness begins, so unlike yesterday....maybe I don't want 3:00 to come! :)

5 comments:

We Joneses said...

ha ha! Man, good luck with all those kids! But you know you're lucky because you can be the cool sitter that lets them eat fruit snacks twice in one day and sleep in their forts and things like that. Keep us posted for how things go!

Abram said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashley said...

Hey! Hope the babysitting is going great! I always loved when other people came and stayed with us...

Erica Marshall said...

Wow, you are a super woman. Wish I were closer, then you could watch my kids while we went on a cruise! Good luck with substituting...I don't think they could pay enough to get me in grade school. No thanks!

MegiJones said...

Aub I didn't know you were subbing too!! You are a busy lady! :) I am totally impressed that you watched those 6 kids for so long...every time we saw you, I was just amazed that you were out and about with all of them. Now when I ask you to come stay with my 3, you will think they are a breeze!! :)